- A tattoo will be permanent alteration and can only be removed with a surgical procedure.
- Leave the wrap that you receive after the tattoo on for up to 2 hours before removing. Tattoos will ooze, this is a normal part of the healing process.
- Make sure your hands have been washed thoroughly any time you handle your new tattoo.
- After removing the bandage, cleanse the tattoo area with unscented antibacterial soap and water. Do not scrub the tattoo with a brush or towel (this should not be done until the tattoo has healed). Rinse with cold water.
- Dry the tattooed area by gently patting the area with a clean, sterile towel. Let the tattoo dry completely (approximately 10 minutes).
- Let the tattoo dry completely (approximately 10 minutes).
- Lightly apply a thin layer of ointment such as A&D.
- You do not need to re-bandage.
- Repeat steps above for 3 days, approximately 3-5 times a day.
After three days, get a non-scented lotion such as Lubriderm or Cruel to keep the tattoo moisturized. After a few days you may notice some peeling. Remember your new tattoo may be itchy. Resist the urge to scratch, rub, or pick at the tattoo. Remember, the first few days and weeks (for a new tattoo) are probably the most important for your new tattoo. Make sure you care for it properly. Consult a physician If you experience symptoms such as excessive swelling, redness, yellow or green discharge, and fever.
- Stay out of the sun until your tattoo has healed completely.
- Apply sunblock to the tattoo after it is healed whenever it is exposed to the Sun to protect it from damaging ultraviolet rays.
- Go swimming or soak in a hot tub or bath
- Use hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol on your tattoo
- Itch, pick, scratch, or smother the tattoo in ointment.
- Participate in activities that will make you sweat
Outside the normal healing limits, any concerns that your body art has resulted in complications, infection or disease should we be reported to:
Denver Department of Environmental Health
Public Health inspections body art
101 West Colfax Avenue
Denver, CO 80204